Flea & Tick Prevention
Many people believe that fleas are just a part of having a pet. This is not only a myth, but a dangerous and highly preventable problem. Did you know that these nasty creatures could also do a lot of damage to the health of your pet and yourself?
Fleas spread many diseases that can be fatal. Fleas transmit an intestinal parasite called tapeworms. Even though one or two fleas may not take much blood, a large number of fleas can make your pet lose an excessive amount leading to anemia.
When choosing the right preventives for your pet there are some things you should keep in mind. When using a topical treatment you should wait 3 days after you bathe your pet before and after application. Your pet has oils on their skin that help absorb and spread the medication. When you wash your pet shortly after applying a topical, you can wash off the medication. We do offer pill forms of preventives for dogs, which are beneficial for dogs that swim or bathed frequently.
We offer many preventives for your pet. Please call us today to determine the prevention that is best for you and your pets!
- Capstar® pill that lasts for 24 hours and is safe for dogs and cats of all ages
- Comfortis® chewable, cats only
- Nexgard® chewable
- Simparica® chewable
- Bravecto® chewable
Other flea and tick products can be ordered in our online pharmacy!
Heartworm Testing & Prevention
What Is Heartworm Disease?
Heartworms are one of the most dangerous parasites for both dogs and cats. Heartworm infection takes place when a mosquito carrying microscopic-sized heartworm larvae bites your pet. The larvae enter through the bite wound where they develop in the tissues. The immature worms then enter a blood vessel and are carried to the arteries in the heart and lungs.
How Do I Know If My Pet Has Heartworms?
The only way to know without question if your pet has been infected with heartworms is through a blood test. Heartworm testing is done as a part of your pet’s annual wellness exam, even if your pet is already on a heartworm preventive.
Some pets will display clinical signs of the disease (this varies between species). Most pets do not display clinical signs until the disease has critically progressed; therefore, it is important to start prevention as soon as 8 weeks of age.
How Can I Keep My Pets Safe From Heartworms?
All heartworm medications are FDA drugs that require a prescription. Annual heartworm testing is required for all dogs to refill their prescriptions. All heartworm tests require a blood sample.
It only takes one mosquito to infect your pet. Remember, mosquitoes can travel indoors so both indoor and outdoor pets are at risk and should receive monthly heartworm prevention year-round.
Heartworm disease is harmful and can be fatal, but is very preventable.
For dogs we recommend:
- Heartgard® chewable
- Simparica TRIO® chewable
- ProHeart®6 injectable
- ProHeart®12 injectable
For cats we recommend:
- Bravecto Plus® topical
- Revolution Plus® topical
Please talk to any of our receptionists, technicians, or vets to determine the prevention that is best for you and your pets! Additional heartworm medication can be ordered via our online pharmacy.
More About Our Heartworm Preventatives
- Simparica TRIO®is the first monthly chewable to protect dogs against heartworm disease, five types of ticks, fleas, roundworms, and hookworms, all in one monthly chewable.
- ProHeart®6 is a twice-yearly injection to prevent heartworm disease in dogs.
- ProHeart®12 is a once-yearly injection to prevent heartworm disease in dogs.
- Heartgard® is a once a month chewable tablet for dogs. Heartgard prevents heartworm, roundworm, and hookworm. It is dosed by weight and is available for dogs over 6 weeks.
- Revolution Plus® is a topical flea and heartworm prevention for dogs and cats. It is dosed by the weight of your pet and is available for dogs over 6 weeks of age, and cats over 8 weeks. Revolution also prevents ticks in dogs and helps prevent roundworm and hookworm infestations in cats.